Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Back in Black


Long time no see!
As you must know by now Dark Angels are having a realease this january.
As they are the first 40k army I started collecting I might go and buy the codex...but for a start here's what I have to say about the upcoming model release (January 12th).

I'm not too fawned of the flyers or should I say the flyer because like the Ork flyer its just one model with two variants.

It appears to me as a recycled storm talon...or should I say cheese in a box for x dollars...the model itself ends up being like its predecessor: lacking in style because of that over-sized cockpit.

Though it had the potential to look like a flying batmobile the four engine speeder ends up looking ridiculous because of the front turret(frontweight anyone?).

The IC models (Belial and Asmondai) also fail to convince.
Especially Belial whose pose is too static by today's standards.

Now lets move on to the more positive:
The DeahtwingCommand/Knights as well as the RavenwingCommand/black knights boxsets.
They look like the major redeemers for this whole release because of  how cool the models look and what you can get out of the boxsets (different builds per boxset= moar bits!) ...can't wait to see the first reviews for these.


Moving on to my hobby progress.

I got an Imperial sector for X-mas and ended up assembling and painting up the manufactorum pieces.



The following model is what i really wanted for X-mas so I went and bought it for myself:



Assembling was pretty straight forward.
I modified the tervigon's head for I wasn't a fan of all the tentacles around the mouth.

I tried out a double spray coat technique for this tervigon (primed black then primed white with a 45° above angle)

Mixed with diluted paints this technique make you feel like you know how to blend.(when you really don't XD)

I also tried out putting some snow on the base using baking soda (bicarbonate of sodium)
This model was in all an enjoyable experiment.

Hope you enjoyed, and as always, happy hobbying!


4 comments:

  1. Looks like someone had a busy festive season! Happy new year mate. That tervigon looks awesome. Great painting as always, hope to see more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! Yeah I've slowed down on painting lately. Hope I can get back up to speed soon!

      Delete
  2. I agree with you on almost everything on the new releases. The Deathwing Knights look amazing! I think the new land speeder wouldn't look too bad if it had a chin mounted gun instead of the front turret, and maybe do something different with the four side engines. As for the new flyers, i really like them (or at least the Nephilim fighter). I've liked pretty much every conversion i've seen of Belial better than the new model. It's a bit boring. But as you said, the deathwing and ravenwing sets are by far the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers man. Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this.
      I was afraid it would all come out as too harsh...
      and indeed I agree on the speeder.
      I thought the same thing about converting it but having to convert a brand new model just to try and make it look right is not something the average joe necessarily wants to do with a brand new kit...well you can bet someone will give it a try. ;)
      Thank you for your input!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...